Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Looking at Ruby

Having become a bit disheartened at the lack of Grails/Groovy jobs in my area, I decide to have a little look at Ruby.
So far it is pretty depressing, the tutorials generally do not work or are horribly outdated.

One that did seem to work so far was:

http://andreapavoni.com/blog/2013/8/a-rails-4-tutorial-application-for-beginners

Obviously I can see the similarities between Grails & Rails. But I have to say thus far I am unimpressed by Rails. It seems far clumsier, with rake, db:migrates, bundles, etc. Even the console is horrible inferior.
Of course this is just my opinion after 2 hours.

Grails just feels more elegant and for sure was easier to get started. I really like the Grails GORM, as opposed to the Rails db script creation and then creating the classes manually. A relationship between two objects in the database is one line in Grails.

The main stumbling blocks I had with Grails in the early days was plugins, which I feel has been largely addressed now.
Ruby uses Gems which seem quite similar in nature to plugins.






No comments:

Post a Comment